Simple file sharing between FC2 and Mac OS X?

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Wed Sep 15 23:03:49 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 22:13, Mathieu Betrancourt wrote:
> Hi, you may just set up a samba server on the FC2 box (using webmin or
> swat, it takes half an hour), and you'll be able to mount it on MacOs
> X.

Thanks, that certainly is a possibility I'll look into. I assume that
Mac OS X will auto-detect the Samba server via Rendezvous/Zeroconf.
Unfortunately, using Samba might be slightly complicated at my end by
the fact that I use VMware (and certainly will be using it on Friday,
testing the site we're prototyping in IE/Win), and VMware comes with its
own Samba server -- I've no idea whether VMware's Samba server allows
connections from outside of the host system. FC2's version of Samba is
installed, but not set up or running.

I am running sshd, and I believe that Mac OS X comes with sshd running
by default. I've seen screenshots of people's GNOME desktop showing
mounted network drives with an "SSH" emblem -- is there some GNOME-VFS
uri scheme for opening a remote folder over ssh, like:

ssh://user@192.168.0.5 ?

Thanks for the suggestion.

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren at dzr-web.com          www.dzr-web.com