tcopy

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Thu Sep 16 00:47:43 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 17:45, James Wilkinson wrote:
> Jeff Vian wrote:
> > Be careful.  AFAIK using the dd command to copy to a tape may overwrite
> > the tape formatting. This will not be nice if it makes the tape
> > unusable.
> >
> > The OP said he used tar to create the tapes.  Why not use tar to copy
> > tape to tape? (and avoid potential problems with formatting of the tape)
>
> This is good advice: use tar to check the consistency of the tapes.
>
> The one thing that's been worrying me about this entire conversation is
> the possibility of data loss. It seems to me too likely that there is
> something about these tapes (or drives) of which we aren't aware, and
> that two or ten years down the line, the tapes are found to be
> unreadable because of problems now.

He made one other statement that follows with this thought.

He said he had put 18 images on the first tape.  Unless he did that by
creating a single tar image he would have had to use a non-rewinding
feature of the tape drive (and thus 18 separate tar images), and would
have to position it to each image for the extract.