FC2 + newest openoffice = slower

Trevor Smith trevor at haligonian.com
Thu Sep 16 19:08:13 UTC 2004

On September 16, 2004 3:25 pm, Adam Mercer wrote:

> see "man hdparm" and
> http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2000/06/29/hdparm.html

Interesting. I see no indication when the article was written, but he is
testing on a "PII/350 / 128M Ram / newish EIDE HD". My system is less than 6
months old (Athlon XP-M 2800+, 512meg ram, new HD).

On his sytem, he manages to get 20MB/sec throughput with his changes. On my
system, half his suggestions are already turned on. Turning on the other half
does nothing. My throughput remains the same (actually decreased slightly but
the figures always seem to fluctuate slightly).

Most interestingly, despite the MUCH newer hardware I'm running, my throughput
is only 10MB/sec -- not 20MB/sec like he's getting with 8 yr old equipment.
Even with the same settings he uses. Even without the settings he uses. NO
matter what.

And, as I said before, FC1+OO worked FAST. FC2+OO works SLOW on this computer
I'm using. (It's FC+OO that is the varying factor, not the hardware.)

Trevor Smith // trevor at haligonian.com