Kernel with Suspend to Disk support

John Francis john.francis at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 07:13:14 UTC 2004

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 16:22:44 +1000, John Francis <john.francis at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 20:38:24 -0400 (EDT), Matthew Saltzman
> <mjs at ces.clemson.edu> wrote:
> > On Fri, 17 Sep 2004, John Francis wrote:
> >
> > > On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 12:42:17 +0800, Ow Mun Heng <ow.mun.heng at wdc.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Unfortunately, it appears that the stock FC2 kernels do not have APM
> > > support compiled in.
> >
> > Yes, they do.  Just include "acpi=off" on the kernel line in
> > /etc/grub.conf.
> >
> Thanks for the tip Matthew.  I looked through the kernel config and
> saw that APM was on but couldn't for the life of me figure out how to
> turn it on.
>
> Hopefully I'll have better luck with it.

No luck.  APM wasn't too happy.  It told me I had no battery and
standy and suspend both failed miserably.  I tried unloading various
modules first, but to no avail.

It looks like software suspend to disk is my only viable option
(either that or better support for my laptop in the kernel, which I
don't think is going to happen).