use yum to install SRPM files?

Gerald Thompson geraldt at telus.net
Fri Sep 17 11:30:57 UTC 2004

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

>You know what an SRPM is? You don't need to have the binary RPM
>installed to be able to "install" any SRPM. I put install in quotes
>here, because "installing" an SRPM mean to deflate it into the rpm-build
>directories (SPEC and SOURCES) to be able to rpmbuild the binary
>packages.
>

>>I know I should probably just stop being lazy and just download the ISO
>>files and just mount them and install that way, I was just wondering if
>>there was a way to let yum download the updated versions and install
>>them to the system right directly.
>>

>For me it is not really clear you want intend.

Hi Alex;

What I was going to do was play around with building RPM's and
recompiling them.  More or less just practicing and trying stuff out.  I
know the SRPM's are just for if I want to compile my own RPM.  I have
lots of room on my hard drive so I figured it wouldn't hurt to put them
on so that I could just fiddle with different package sets.

Thanks for the suggestion about using up2date.  I really need to set up
up2date to use my close mirror, I never really bothered with it much
because I liked using yum much better.

Gerald Thompson