Gnome panel and desktop icons mysteriously changed

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 18 15:14:26 UTC 2004

CB wrote:
> All the icons on the desktop and panel of my main login user have
> changed (other users desktops are still OK). For example, the panel menu
> icon is now the gnome footprint rather than the redhat logo, and
> directories on the desktop now use a generic text file icon rather than
> the original folder.
>

>> Any ideas on how this might have happened, and how to restore things?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> CB.
>>

> Oh, forgot to mention. At the same time (I think) I started getting the
> following error every time I log into gnome:
>      The application "evolution-alarm-notify" has quit unexpectedly.
>
> The two things don't obviously look related but I know little about how
> Gnome works.

Did you try to change to another theme? The theme that I use has the
foot instead of the hat. I'm not sure about the alarm notify problem though.

You could back up the .gnome, .gnome2 and the .gnome_private equivelent
directories. You will loose any custumized settings you made. You will
have to set things up as you just created the account.

Jim
--
"You can't make a program without broken egos."