automount seems not to work

CB fedoralist at crispin.cb-ss.net
Sun Sep 19 08:21:53 UTC 2004

I'm trying to automount a USB/firewire drive.

My /etc/auto.master contains:
	/test   /etc/auto.test

And my /etc/auto.test contains:
	test1         -fstype=ext3    :/dev/sda1

>From my HOWTO reading, I assume automount should now create /test/test1,
within which should be the contents of /dev/sda1. But when I plug in the
HD, although ls / does show the /test directory, /test itself is empty.

Running /sbin/service autofs status gives me:

Configured Mount Points:
/usr/sbin/automount --timeout=60 /test file /etc/auto.test

Active Mount Points:
/usr/sbin/automount --timeout=60 /test file /etc/auto.test

I can mount /dev/sda1 manually (using mount -t ext3 etc) with no
problems, but the automount doesn't seem to do anything.

Any suggestions?