problem with usb disks

Darragh Bailey daragh.bailey at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 15:03:11 UTC 2004

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 16:11:22 +0200, David Jansen
<jansen at strw.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:
> So far I have determined the following:
> - when FC1 was installed on these computers, usb disks worked without problems
> - the USB mouse is working also
> - USB modules are loaded
> - no changes in /proc/bus/usb/ or /sys/bus/usb when the device is
> plugged in or removed
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion what can be the problem on those
> computers? It looks like the kernel doesn't see the hotplug event on
> those systems.
>
> David Jansen

Just to check all basics, have you done
tail -f /var/log/messages

and then plugged in the usb devices, that should tell you if the
kernel is picking up the device and assigning it to an entry under
/dev/

Can you confirm that all machines are fully patched and uptodate? I'm
sure you have gone through all the steps including checking
/var/log/messages but its good to list out all the details so that
false assumptions aren't being made.

Its not clear from your mail whether your refering to the same usb
devices being plugged into different machines and working on some and
not on others or whether its different devices that were being plugged
in to different machines.

First one might indicate that there is a hardware problem with the usb
adapters that the disks are being plugged into, guess what appears in
the messages log might help identify this.

If its the second one, the usb devices may not have the required
entries under /etc/updfstab.conf.defaults in which cause you'll need
to create a new file /etc/updfstab.conf.local and add the required
entries to that and then include that file in /etc/updfstab.conf.

--
Darragh Bailey
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"