A contributor is not allowed to use Fedora legally?

ByteEnable ByteEnable at austin.rr.com
Tue Sep 21 19:34:46 UTC 2004

Roozbeh Pournader wrote:

> I was wondering if I can do anything about not being able to use Fedora
> Core legally. To use software that is partly my own (I am a copyright
> co-holder for Mozilla, FriBidi, GNOME translations (sometimes under the
> name "FarsiWeb", Pango, etc), I need to "warrant that I am not located
> in Iran":
>
> http://mirror.linux.duke.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/test/2.91/x86_64/os/eula.txt
>
> But the problem is that I live there, and have been living there while
> working on all those pieces of software
>
> Is Fedora allowed to do that, even when I have copylefted parts of the
> software under GPL and LGPL? Won't that be adding more restrictions, and
> against the explicit text in the licenses that says "You may not impose
> any further restrictions on the recipients' exercise of the rights
> granted herein"? Also, isn't the same EULA claim that the whole
> collective work is under GPL? If yes, how can it add those restrictions?
>
> I would appreciate any kind of comment or recommendations, on-list or
> off-list. This has somehow created a mental problem for me...
>
> Roozbeh Pournader

I just talked to President Bush, and he said that if you dismantle your
nuclear reactor and stop disrupting democracy in Iraq, that he will let
you use Fedora Core without restriction.

Seriously, this export restriction only applies to Red Hat.  The U.S.
law does not apply to you, unless Iran recongizes U.S. export
restrictions and applies the restriction to you, which I highly doubt.
If you download Fedora Core from a mirror outside the U.S., you avoid
any potential conflicts.

I believe only Red Hat can be held accountable, especially if the U.S.
government finds out that Fedora Core's name is a code word for Nuclear
Core, in which Fedora Core runs your new reactor.  Just kidding.

Isn't it a shame that the world cannot just put down the guns, theology,
ideology, politics and just write code.  It would be a better place.

Pasha has just pointed out that EULA might state that you cannot use
Fedora Core if your on the export list, if the EULA says that, then
according to Red Hat, you are an illegal user in their eyes.

Byte