A contributor is not allowed to use Fedora legally?

Patrick McSwiggen Pat.McSwiggen at uc.edu
Tue Sep 21 23:32:54 UTC 2004

On Sep 21, 2004, at 3:55 PM, Sam Tregar wrote:
> That's easy.  He isn't covered by US law, so of course US law has no
> effect on the legality of his actions.  Just because something is of
> US origin doesn't give its license the force of law in a foreign legal
> system.  Only the laws of Iran can give it that force.  Since I'm not
> an Iranian lawyer I can only guess that he can do whatever he wants
> with Fedora.

I hate to rain on everybody's parade, but remember Manuel Noriega?
Former dictator of Panama arrested (in Panama) for drug trafficking
under US law even though he never set foot on US soil? (Except, of
course, when he was invited by US presidents!) The US has a long
standing habit of enforcing its laws *outside* its borders. I am no
lawyer, but if the US got in enough of a dander over the export of
something from the US to another country it would most definitely go
after *both* ends of the export/import pipe--and they wouldn't care
about any EULA/contract or anything else between the two parties. Mind
you, I'm not suggesting that you actually pay attention to such
silliness!

Patrick D. McSwiggen                            pat.mcswiggen at uc.edu
Mathematical Sciences                            513-556-4080
University of Cincinnati                         513-556-3417 FAX