FC1, USB mouse, but not through USB Hub

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Wed Sep 22 12:22:45 UTC 2004

Gary Stainburn wrote:
> Running FC1 with USB keyboard and mouse with no problems.
>
> Just bought a new desk and re-arranged wiring so that my mouse goes
> through a USB hub first to eliminate shore wire syndrome.
>
> Everything still works fine in WinXP, but the mouse won't work in
> Linux.

then later:

> Okay,
>
> so here's the story so far.
>
> If I cold boot into Linux it doesn't work.
> If I cold boot into WinXP then reboot into Linux it doesn't work.
> If I cold boot into WinXP, - USE XP for a while - then reboot it does
> work.
>
> Below are the lsusb with the mouse working and without.  Looks like thw
> whole hub's missing in the first one as the Epson and joystick are also
> missing.
>
> The mouse is a Genius Netscroll Traveller USB ballless mouse. When
> booting into Linux (even when it ultimately doesn't work) it flashes
> are suitable points, such as on initial turn-on, after kernel load,
> during device init routines, during service start where it includes:
>
> Starting USB Keyboard [OK]
> Starting USB Mouse [OK]
>
> [root at garyh root]# cat lsusb.nomouse
> Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 001 Device 002: ID 046d:c309 Logitech, Inc.
> [root at garyh root]# cat lsusb.mouse
> Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 005 Device 003: ID 05e3:0660 Genesys Logic, Inc.
> Bus 005 Device 005: ID 046d:c283 Logitech, Inc. WingMan Force 3D
> Bus 005 Device 006: ID 04b8:0005 Seiko Epson Corp. Stylus Printer
> Bus 005 Device 007: ID 0458:002e KYE Systems Corp. (Mouse Systems)
> Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 001 Device 002: ID 046d:c309 Logitech, Inc.

I hereby pronounce that weird.

A few things you might want to try:

 * Linux handles USB devices slightly differently if they're hotplugged
   (plugged in while the computer is turned on). You might see if that
   makes any difference: Remember that you can try unplugging and
   replugging the hub as well as the devices.

 * What sort of USB subsystem do you have? Try lspci | grep -i usb
   Some PCs will have two different USB controllers, and you could try
   plugging the hub into a different port.

 * What happens if you only have one device plugged into the hub: does
   lsusb see them then? (You might as well try each of the devices).

 * Is the hub powered or unpowered? (Does it have a separate power
   supply?) If not, then you could be finding that the power to the hub
   is marginal.

Hope this helps,

James.
--
E-mail address: james | Whenever [Richard I] returned to England he always
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | set out again immediately for the Mediterranean and