Getting Stock Sendmail to work

Al Sparks data345 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 23 22:53:37 UTC 2004

I'm running fedora release 2, and I've been trying to get sendmail
running when I roll my own.

In fact, I compiled and installed sendmail 8.13.1, and then downgraded
8.12.11, and I couldn't get either of them to work.  I would get
processes to run, but "netstat –a" would show no "LISTEN" on port 25.

I then turned around and, using yum, installed the stock sendmail for
fedora (for completeness, I'l mention that I had previously
uninstalled it before attempting the stock installs).

It works.  Does anyone know what I might have been leaving out when I
did my installs?

Pretty frustrating.  There were no log errors on startup or anything.
With the exception of the netstat, everything looked like it should work.
  === Al