Getting Stock Sendmail to work

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Fri Sep 24 03:07:44 UTC 2004

Al Sparks wrote:
> I'm running fedora release 2, and I've been trying to get sendmail
> running when I roll my own.
>
> In fact, I compiled and installed sendmail 8.13.1, and then downgraded
> 8.12.11, and I couldn't get either of them to work.  I would get
> processes to run, but "netstat –a" would show no "LISTEN" on port 25.

Out of the box, sendmail is configured to only listen on localhost:25.
Its a part of the sendmail.mc file.  cd to /etc/mail.  Comment out this
line:

> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl

(add "dnl " to the front of the line) in sendmail.mc and remake your
sendmail.cf file via:  make sendmail.cf

then reload sendmail via:

# service sendmail reload

--