A problem with parted, i want to resize one of my partition.

Robert kerplop at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 25 18:01:26 UTC 2004

Kent Nyberg wrote:
> Hello to you all,
>
> When i first set up this computer i thought i would need a windows
> partition, so i took 27gb of my 80gb drive and devoted them to a vfat-
> partition. Now i have no use for windows and that partition. I could
> always just use mkfs to create an ext3-partition there, but i want to
> resize my main ext3-partition to include that space.
> I deleted the vfat and booted with the Fedora rescue-cd.
>
> I made sure that no parition i would use is mounted, and started parted.
> Now, when i try to either move or resize i get a message about
> "filesystem has incompatible features enabled". What are these features,
> and how do i disable them?
> I cant tell what kernel i created my ext3-partition with, although it
> might be Fedore 1 or something. Lat night i read a bit of the parted
> mailinglist and it seems that 'tune2fs -O ^dir_index /dev/partition' is
> needed to disable one of the features parted does not work with, but
> that did not help, i still got the message about incompatible features.
>
> Can some one enlighten me about this?

I went 'round & 'round with this one a few months ago. Partition Magic
won't work either. You can read about the problem at
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-parted/2004-05/msg00048.html

What I finally did was to copy everything off that drive and start from
scratch.

In a nutshell, parted can't deal with the results of using the
"sparse_super" option in mke2fs. Unfortunately, that option is the
default. To turn it off,
mke2fs -O ^sparse_super /dev/hdX
with whatever other options you want. **Note the "^"**!
If you're curious, try the mke2fs command WITH the -n option and with
and without the -O above and marvel at the difference in the number of
superblocks produced.