Nagging X problem

Kent Nyberg nyberg.kent at spray.se
Sat Sep 25 19:18:03 UTC 2004

On lör, 2004-09-25 at 15:00 -0400, Thomas E. Dukes wrote:
> > On Sep 25, 2004 at 14:19, Thomas E. Dukes in a soothing rage wrote:
> > [...]
> > >I do not have kde installed.  I have been using gnome.  It
> > looks as if
> > >your .Xclients is configured to run kde.  Any idea what the
> > command is
> > >to start gnome desktop?
> > exec gnome-session
>
> This is weird........
>
> It works if I am logged in as edukes but not root.  Why does it allow me to
> login as root in runlevel 5 but not if started manually under runlevel 3?
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks again!!

Cant say something about your problem, but you should not use the root
account that way anyhow.. Mostly its better to get used to using 'su' to
become root for things you need to do. Being root means any mistake
might break the whole system, which is not just mistakes idiots do - we
all do them some times.

--
Kent Nyberg <nyberg.kent at spray.se>