limit processor usage by %

Francisco Figueiredo Jr. fxjrlists at yahoo.com.br
Sun Sep 26 15:14:44 UTC 2004

Nifty Hat Mitch wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 08:28:49PM -0300, Francisco Figueiredo Jr. wrote:
>
>>I'd like to know if there is some way I could limit the processor usage
>>of an application.
>>
>>I mean, I have a cpu eat application but I'd like to give it just 30% of
>>my processor. Is there some way I could do that?
>>
>>I saw ulimit, but it limits the processor usage by time.
>

> The most common way to address this is with the nice and renice
> commands.

Hmmmm, how I could use it? Nice is meant to let me adjust the process
priority isn't it?

But my process is to be run, but not to run at 100% processor usage :)

The process I'm trying to use is zsnes, an snes emulator. I know
emulation does take a lot of cpu, but as I have a piv 2.8, I think that
30% of this processor power is enough. I mean, I have a pentium 166 and
zsnes runs with an acceptable performance. As I'm running Chrono Trigger
game which is an rpg and so not so much graphics intensive.

So, the problem to me is not not get responsive system. zsnes is polite
enough to even being at 100% usage, I didn't notice any hung of my
system while using it. In fact, I can see other programs hanging it :)

I just don't want to use all the processor power to allow better battery
  usage and mainly keep my processor temp as low as possible. I mean, I
didn't want to keep my cpu running at 100% for one, two hours in a row.
Without sleep.

I hope it helps clarify what my problem is.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Francisco Figueiredo Jr.