ALSA installation issues.

W. Guy Thomas mrguytx at austin.rr.com
Sun Sep 26 21:51:01 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-09-26 at 16:08, James Wilkinson wrote:
> Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> > Then you do not have the ALSA kernel modules installed. The alsa utils
> > are not the kernel modules. Are you sure you did build and install the
> > ALSA kernel modules for the correct kernel?
>
> W. Guy Thomas replied:
> > According to the site I do not need to do this:
> >
> > There are two ways of getting Linux drivers to work, you can either
> > compile them into the kernel or build them separately as modules. Read
> > the Kernel-HOWTO for details of how to compile a kernel.
>
> It sounds like you're getting confused by terminology. The Linux kernel
> as supplied by Fedora (and practically every other distribution) comes
> as one big "monolithic" kernel image, together with various kernel
> modules that are linked into (= loaded into) the kernel. Once they're
> loaded, they effectively are part of the kernel.

No, I understand this.

> Those parts of the kernel code that are compiled as modules could
> instead have been compiled into the main kernel image: this has various
> advantages and disadvantages. To get the ALSA drivers there, you would
> have to recompile the whole kernel.

Yes, I know.

> You have chosen to use separate kernel modules. You still need to
> compile, install, and load those modules.
>
> You will *also* need to compile the user-mode utilities, which do not
> run in kernel mode.

I know I need to compile and install and load. That is what I'm
attempting to do. But according to the ALSA site, I have three modules:
drivers, lib and utils. Apparently there is something else I am missing.
The drivers compile as do the libs, but the utils do not.

I have been looking for rpm's and source on many sites to see if
perhapes there is a lower level alsa kernel module that I am missing.

If anyone has ALSA experience please let me know. I thought this was
going to be so simple. It's just sound drivers! LOL.

=G

--
=Guy
Fedora Core 1, kernel 2.4.22.2199, yarrow