booting from newly burned CD

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Mon Sep 27 15:52:55 UTC 2004

On or about 2004-09-27 00:45, Andrey Andreev whipped out a trusty #2
pencil and scribbled:

> Steven C. Liu wrote:
>
>> Pardon this very newbie question, but I just burned all four CD's
>> (FC2-i386-discN.iso) onto a CDRW drive on a XP Pro machine and want
>> to use disc1 to boot up and begin the config process for a clunky
>> leftover PC of mine.  I did go into setup to verify that the CD ROM
>> drive is in the boot sequence, and is before the C drive.
>

> You have to use "Burn image" in your recording software, instead of
> just copying the *.iso file to the drive.
>
> When you Explore your CDRW in XP, you shall be seeing a whole lot of
> files on it, not just the .iso file.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> //Andro

Even if you have burned the CDRWs correctly, there may still be a more
basic problem.  I know from personal experience that certain older
models of CD drives simply cannot read CDRW disks.  If the target
machine can be booted with MS-DOS or something that you would expect to
let you read files from the CD, then try reading a regular CD, and then
a CDRW.

--
Fritz Whittington
This email does not contain private or confidential material as it may be snooped on by interested government parties for unknown and undisclosed purposes - Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act, 2000