dual monitors in fedora?

dev.loop at gmail.com dev.loop at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 18:05:02 UTC 2004

> After playing with KDE settings to try to get "dual head" action going on, the
> monitor was turned off somehow.

Could you please describe, what you mean by "playing around". Which
utils did you use ?

> No matter what, it will not turn back on (no
> signal at all gets to it in Fedora). Booting to WinXP causes it to come on
> and it can be set to either normal mode (show the same image as on the laptop
> screen) or to dual head mode (one desktop stretched across the 2 monitors).
> But when I boot back to linux, again, the monitor refuses to receive a
> signal.

Booting to Win wont change the settings in Linux. Therefore there wont
be any difference, when you boot back to linux.

> Does anyone know where/how I can turn the monitor back on, even in normal,
> single image mode, in linux? I don't care if it's a KDE or just a straight
> linux solution.

The place to look is your xorg.conf
The following are the changes I made to my XF86Config (thats not X
Org, therefore it might be slitely different)
Add these lines to the "Device" section
#	Option  "TwinView"
#	Option  "SecondMonitorHorizSync"     "30-50"
#	Option  "SecondMonitorVertRefresh"   "60"
#	Option  "MetaModes" "1024x768, 1024x768; 800x600, 800x600; 640x480, 640x480;"
#	Option "TVOutFormat" "COMPOSITE"
#	Option  "TVStandard" "PAL-G"

Change as appropriate.
I have to admit, that I do not use the TwinView option, but decided to
have a second x server runnig on my TV. Therefore I cant ensure, these
settings work

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
/dev/loop