portable mp3 player recommendation

Christopher J. Bottaro cjbottaro at alumni.cs.utexas.edu
Mon Sep 27 20:11:49 UTC 2004

Fritz Whittington wrote:

> Just to clarify, with what little I've picked up from the newsgroups.
> There are apparently certain brands/models of mp3 players which do *not*
> support the simple mechanism of looking like an ordinary USB mounted
> file system.  Such players require specific manufacturer-provided
> software to move mp3 files to the device, and of course they mostly
> provide Windows versions, sometimes a Mac version, but almost never a
> Linux version.
>
> So the key technical point is to find out whether or not the device
> supports ordinary file transfer like a pen drive over USB.  If not, I
> would look for something else.  Most versions of Linux support USB file
> systems.

"MuVo TX FM is equipped with USB 2.0 that enables faster transfer of music
or data files to and from your computer. MuVo TX FM comes with a built-in
USB connector. Simply attach MuVo TX FM to any PC or notebook and
drag-and-drop your files. No cables or installation software needed(3)."

That seems promising.  Thanks to everyone who replied.

OK, now to go a little off topic.  So if you just mount it as a USB mass
storage file system and you drag and drop (or cp) files to it, how do you
specify the order in which they play?

Thanks.