VmWare Workstation and 2.6.8.1 kernel

Philip A. Chapman pchapman at pcsw.us
Mon Sep 27 21:09:02 UTC 2004

Jean-Marie Verdun wrote:
> I am running the 2.6.8.1 64 bits kernel version, and I was more suspecting a
> 32 bits compatibility issue
> between the vmnet driver and the vmnet-bridge binary which is a 32 bits
> binary.
> The vmnet driver is "OpenSource" while the vmnet-bridge binary is not, so we
> will have to get
> back to vmware unfortunatly they do not provide support for demo user. So is
> there a vmware user
> registered into the list. Before acquiring the software I would like at
> least to make it work for my target system !

Jean-Marie,

I am running am AMD-64 laptop.  However, because I use VMWare for
development, (I have a license) and I feared issues with 64bit, I have
been running the 32 bit kernel.  I find that I am happy to read this
thread because it suggests that VMWare can be run under a 64 bit kernel.

Because I use this system all day every day for production work, I'll
probably not try to re-install my main partition until FC3 comes out.
However, I do have a separate partition that I could install the 64-bit
version of Fedora on and test VMWare.  That was the original reason I
left the partition there; I just never got around to it.

A while back, yum upgraded my kernel and I had problems
compiling/linking the vmnet bridges and modules using vmware-config.pl.
  Because of that, I downgraded my kernel back to 2.6.6-1.435.2.3 and
have not upgraded it since.

If I have time tonight, I'll install the 64 bit version Fedora Core 3 on
my laptop tonight and test VMware workstation 4.5.2-8848.  If it doesn't
work, I'll contact tech support....  But I don't think Fedora is an
officially supported distro; which means that all the support I'm likely
to get would be from posting the issue on their news list.

Thanks,
--
Philip A. Chapman

Application Development:
Java, Visual Basic (MCP), PostgreSQL, MySQL, MSSQL
Linux, Windows 9x, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP