portable mp3 player recommendation

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Tue Sep 28 00:23:59 UTC 2004

On or about 2004-09-27 15:11, Christopher J. Bottaro whipped out a
trusty #2 pencil and scribbled:

>Fritz Whittington wrote:
>

>>Just to clarify, with what little I've picked up from the newsgroups.
>>There are apparently certain brands/models of mp3 players which do *not*
>>support the simple mechanism of looking like an ordinary USB mounted
>>file system.  Such players require specific manufacturer-provided
>>software to move mp3 files to the device, and of course they mostly
>>provide Windows versions, sometimes a Mac version, but almost never a
>>Linux version.
>>
>>So the key technical point is to find out whether or not the device
>>supports ordinary file transfer like a pen drive over USB.  If not, I
>>would look for something else.  Most versions of Linux support USB file
>>systems.
>>

>"MuVo TX FM is equipped with USB 2.0 that enables faster transfer of music
>or data files to and from your computer. MuVo TX FM comes with a built-in
>USB connector. Simply attach MuVo TX FM to any PC or notebook and
>drag-and-drop your files. No cables or installation software needed(3)."

Well, if your "any PC" is running Windows 95 you'll have to install some
software first, but that's picky. :-D

>That seems promising.  Thanks to everyone who replied.
>
>OK, now to go a little off topic.  So if you just mount it as a USB mass
>storage file system and you drag and drop (or cp) files to it, how do you
>specify the order in which they play?
>
>Thanks.

Well, that has nothing to do with how you got the files there in the
first place.  You'd have to ask the people who make it.  I would presume
there is a little display and some control buttons on the player.  Or
maybe they let you edit a plain text file that has a magic name, like
playlist.txt, and transfer that.  They did say "music or *data* files".

--
Fritz Whittington
TI Alum - http://www.tialumni.org