Writing to DVD+RW's

Clint Harshaw clint at penguinsolutions.org
Tue Sep 28 00:28:33 UTC 2004

Peter McDermott wrote:
> Hey thanks for the help! I'm thinking about trying the patch but it does
> look like an involved process. I found and was able to install k3b which
> looks great however I ran into a problem: my dvd drive is listed as a
> reader not as a writer. The drive's name as described in k3b is
> HL-DT-ST-DVD+RW-GCA-4040N. Is it safe to assume that without the
> patching you suggested k3b won't recognize my dvd+rw drive as anything
> more than a dvd-rom device?
>
> P.S. installing k3b rpm's with yum requires some work... updating the
> yum.conf with a new download location:
>
> [xcyb-stable]
> name=Fedora Core 2 ( xcyborg / stable )
> baseurl=http://rpms.xcyb.org/fedora/2/stable/
>
> And installing two rpms yum can't find manually:
>
> id3lib-3.8.3-5.fr.i386.rpm
> libmad-0.15.1b-3.1.fc2.dag.i386.rpm
>
> Then just run "yum k3b" and away you go.

Peter:

Would you please check which kernel you are using? If it's 2.6.8.x then
there is a FAQ/bug related to burning CD or DVD as a non-root user. If
you have a kernel < 2.6.8.x then you should be able to burn normally. If
you don't have an earlier kernel, then try burning after su to the root
user.

If OTOH you don't have the older kernel, and can't burn as a root user,
then maybe my tutorial will help you:

http://penguinsolutions.org/fedora/cdrw/

Hope this helps,
Clint