Belkin trackball problems

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Sep 28 14:38:53 UTC 2004

linux r wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 17:49:59 -0400, linux r <linuxr at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 23:37:57 +0200, Ketil Hage <khage at start.no> wrote:
>>
>>>i had the same problem, solved it by turning usb support off on the
>>>motherboard... got a tips from J. Spaar :)
>>>
>>>kh

>>I have a somewhat related problem...my belkin PS/2 trackball isn't
>>really embraced too well by FC1...did one install, it gave me fits.
>>Another install, it is working better.  It doesn't always work
>>well...especially horizontal movements, I have had to move vertically
>>in order to make a horizontal move.  Not to impose on this post, but I
>>had also chosen 'generic 3 button' so maybe the two things are
>>somewhat related....any info is appreciated.
>>
>>Marc
>>

> Does anyone have any thoughts on how to make a trackball operate
> better?  I am about ready to pull my hair out and go to some other
> type of mouse (any suggestions for FC that works great pls let me
> know).  With the trackball, you have to get a 'running start' on the
> screen, then of course you overshoot your destination.  Small precise
> movements are hell.  This is exactly the *opposite* of what I was
> hoping to achieve!  Funny this worked fine with RH8  &  9....I always
> just take the default selection for generic three button and it would
> be ok.
>
> When I run redhat-config-mouse I get some choices but none for my
> belkin trackball.  Is there a trick or something else good that I can
> substitute?  I am thinking maybe 'kensington' which seems a little
> closer than some of the other choices.  Does anyone know what exactly
> it is detecting, surely it isn't actual manufacturer identifiers,
> probably just the general type of device anyway.  I will continue to
> play with this but as it is my only system at the moment I don't want
> to hose it.  :)
>
> Any information or guidance is greatly appreciated.
>

> linuxr

My Kensington Expert Mouse <http://www.kensington.com/html/2200.html>
trackball worked properly from day one.  All 4 buttons and scroll
wheel.  Nice big optical ball.

Now if I could only get one at work.

It installed as a mouse, not a trackball.  I think it listed as a
three button mouse.  It is at home and I would have to check.

Try a generic mouse configuration.
--
Robin Laing