What have I done now seems weird

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Tue Sep 28 15:31:57 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 01:14, Peter Cague wrote:
> Hi
>
> I followed the instructions as per ntfs drives and did all the command
> line stuff and they worked fine but when I put the command lines into my
> fstab the come up as bad lines
>
> LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults
> 1 1
> none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620
> 0 0
> none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults
> 0 0
> LABEL=/home             /home                   ext3    defaults
> 1 2
> none                    /proc                   proc    defaults
> 0 0
> none                    /sys                    sysfs   defaults
> 0 0
> LABEL=/usr              /usr                    ext3    defaults
> 1 2
> /dev/hdb5               swap                    swap    defaults
> 0 0
> /dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              udf,iso9660
> noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
> /dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto
> noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0

Command line syntax WILL NOT work in fstab.  Follow the fstab syntax.

> /dev/hda1               /mnt/Windoz          -t   ntfs -r -o unmask=0222
> /dev/hda2               /mnt/Bits            -t   ntfs -r -o unmask=0222

/dev/hda1     /mnt/Windoz     ntfs  noauto,users,ro  0 0

This will allow any user to mount the filesystem, with full permissions,
read only, and will not automatically mount it at boot time..

Did you not notice the extreme difference between the lines you added
and the structure of the original fstab lines above?

man fstab for the full information on what options are available and the
format required for each line.