PHP-Nuke 7,4 Borken on FC2?

Chuck Carson rhugga at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 28 19:24:50 UTC 2004

I just installed PHP-Nuke 7.4 and have hit a roadblock. (I have ran nearly every major version
since early 5.x days and have yet to reach a problem I could not work around) Hopefully it is
something simple I missed but there really isn't a lot that can be mis-configured with PHP-nuke.

First I installed into /usr/local/httpd-2.0.51/htdocs/phpnuke. (cp -rp PHP-Nuke-7.4/html
/usr/local/httpd-2.0.51/htdocs/phpnuke ; chown -R root:apache2
/usr/local/httpd-2.0.51/htdocs/phpnuke) I created a "nuke" database and executed the nuke.sql file
to create the database objects (mysql nuke -p < nuke.sql). (afterwards I had 88 tables created in
the nuke database) I set the DB options in config.php. The file config.php is owned by root, it's
group is apache2, and it's perms are 0640. The webserver runs as user apache2 and group apache2.

I verified that I can connect to mysql as the user defined in config.php.

#su - apache2
#mysql -u nukeadm -p
Enter password:
Your MySQL connection id is 29 to server version: 3.23.58

mysql> use nuke

Database changed

I created the nukeadm user 3 times, 1 for connections from localhost, localhost.localdomain, and
myhost.mydomain.com. All 3 require a password.

However, whenever I try and connect to http://myserver/phpnuke/ I get a page citing this error:

There seems to be a problem with the MySQL server, sorry for the inconvenience.

We should be back shortly.

I then purposely changed the perms on config.php so that the apache2 group had no access just to
see if I get a different error and I did. So it is not a file permission issue. I then decided to
do a (chmod -R 0777 /usr/local/httpd-2.0.51/htdocs/phpnuke/) for sanity sake and same error. So
I'm convinced this insn't a file perm issue (unless php-nuke now detects too lenient of perms
which I highly doubt it since it is very insecure to being with) Also, normally when you have a
file perm issue you get an error similiar to this:
Warning: main(config.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in
/usr/local/httpd-2.0.51/htdocs/phpnuke/mainfile.php on line 86

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required 'config.php'
(include_path='.:/usr/local/php-4.3.9/lib/php') in
/usr/local/httpd-2.0.51/htdocs/phpnuke/mainfile.php on line 86

I use a ton of other PHP based web stuff so the PHP installation is not the issue. FYI: I am using
PHP version 4.3.9 compiled as a module for http-2-0.51.

I am using the default version of mysql included with FC2 and the lib directory is listed in
/etc/ld.so.conf.

Anyone have any ideas??
Thx
-rhugga