fedora newbie

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Wed Sep 29 00:05:51 UTC 2004

Joey Kelley wrote:
>          I was going over the specs of FC2 a while ago, and in FC2 the maximum
> size of the RAM that can be accessed is 4 GB, with an additional 4 GB of swap
> partition (to quote a mac term, Virtual Ram or the linux version of the Windows
> temporary files)

Um. It sounds like you've misunderstood the 4G/4G split.

The maximum memory Fedora can use is the maximum that the underlying
kernel can use. On x64-64, that should be 1 TB = 1024 GB IF you can find
the hardware to support it! On x86, that is 64 GB with Intel's PAE mode.

It also supports up to 32 swap files or partitions, each of up to 2 GB
on x86 (according to man mkswap). (No idea what the x86-64 limit is: the
underlying hardware can't use more than 1024 TB of virtual memory...)

The 4G/4G split is to do with how an individual process views memory.
There's a part of the chip called the Memory Management Unit which,
together with the kernel's virtual memory subsystem, selects 4K pages
from real memory, swap, and other places to make up 4 GB for the process
and 4 GB of easily-accessible RAM for kernel mode.

Hope this helps,

James.
--
E-mail address: james | actor: (n) a piece of scenery that has the audacity
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | to move once lit.