latest cdrecord problem status

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Wed Sep 29 11:57:27 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 28 Sep 2004 16:30, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> > > The latest cdrecord upgrade has completely broken CD burning on my
> > > system; the last audio CD is **quite** amusing and not unpleasant to
> > > listen to, but nothing like the original sound.
rpm -q cdrecord?
on my system I have
cdrecord-2.01-0.a27.4.FC2.3
which as far as I can tell is the latest one.

>  cdrecord -v dev=/dev/cdrom -dao -useinfo *.wav
are you trying to burn an audio CD?
have you considered
cdrecord -v dev=... -audio  -pad *.wav
always worked here...

> Lately, I've noticed the following things:
>
>   o "cdrecord -scanbus" produces the line
>         1,0,0   100) 'SONY    ' 'DVD RW DRU-510A ' '1.0c' Removable CD-ROM
>     but "cdrecord dev=1,1,0 -inq" produces the lines
>         scsidev: '1,0,0'
>         scsibus: 1 target: 0 lun: 0
>         cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/sg*'. Cannot
> open SCSI driver. cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'.
> Make sure you are root. cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try
> 'cdrecord dev=help'. "cdrecord dev=/dev/hdc -inq" produces info that looks
> correct.
try
cdrecord dev=ATAPI:1,0,0 -inq
although ide-scsi is no longer required you do need to tell cdrecord that it
needs to use an ATAPI device.

Alternatively you could put this info into /etc/cdrecord.conf

the kernel-2.6.8 issue is well documented and does indeed stop you from
burning CDs as a normal user. Downgrading is not too hard and is my current
solution of choice...

Stuart

--
Stuart Sears RHCE, RHCX