Lexar CF Card Reader USB 2.0 on FC1

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Thu Sep 30 12:27:27 UTC 2004

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, Temlakos wrote:

> Hello:
>
> Today I received a Lexar USB2.0 Card Reader. I tried connecting it to an
> FC1 box (kernel 2.4.2.2129.nptl) with an AMD Duron processor (1.4 GHz).
> Immediately upon connecting, the system queries the floppy and two
> existing SCSI devices (an Iomega Jaz drive and a CD burner). Then,
> inexplicably, the machine hangs and I have to do an uncontrolled (and,
> needless to say, unclean) shutdown.
>
> However, my HP Digital PhotoSmart 120 camera connects without a hitch
> and, using gtkam, I can save and delete photographs with the camera
> connected.
>
> I tried looking up some instructions for kernel modification, and I know
> I have a good tool for it (menuconfig) and also the kernel source code.
> How can I get the reader to connect and mount up without bringing the
> whole system to a crashing halt? Does FC1 have a special vulnerability
> that FC2 does not have?
>
> I'd really like to know how to fix this, because I'd like to recommend a
> digital-photography solution to a client of mine. Of course he could
> probably use gtkam to save his photos straight from the camera, but if
> he could simply shove the card into a reader and use Nautilus (or even
> the bash cp command) to pull off his photos to a directory of his own
> choosing, that would be a lot more convenient for his operations, as I'm
> sure everybody can appreciate. (He runs a pathology laboratory and would
> like to take gross photographs and photomicrographs for inclusion in his
> reports--and he could do that a lot faster if all he had to do was pop
> out a card and stick it into a reader while he shoves another, blank
> card into the camera so that he can keep going. And when he's dealing
> with frozen-section diagnosis, speed is of the essence!)

I can't speak to the Lexar units, but I'm using the SmartDisk 6-In-1
reader with FC2.  The OS saw the unit right away, but I had to add:

options scsi_mod max_luns=255

to my /etc/modprobe.conf go get it to see all of the slots.
--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit