FC4 can't boot after updates

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Mon Aug 1 11:24:49 UTC 2005

On Mon August 1 2005 7:14 am, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Jul 2005, Claude Jones wrote:
> > A friend has just been possibly bit by the bug that emerged after a
> > recent kernel update. I read Thomas Chung's piece in the recent
> > FedoraNews about this, but he stresses that the workaround of running
> > Kudzu to fix modprobe.conf has to occur  BEFORE the kernel update. Has
> > anyone been able to fix a  system after the fact?
>
> You still have the old kernel.  When you see the startup splash screen on
> bootup, press a key.  That takes you to a menu of kernels.  Choose the
> second-most recent option.
>
> Then rpm -e the new kernel, run kudzu, and reinstall the new kernel.

Thanks, Matthew. I thought of the same thing, although I'd suggested he try to
boot into a previous kernel. His problem is that the boot gets stuck right
before the blue splash screen, when the word "grub" briefly flashes in the
upper left hand corner of the screen - right at that point, his machine just
stops. Any other suggestions?

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA