VNC problem (Resolved!!)

John Aldrich john at chattanooga.net
Mon Aug 1 14:56:04 UTC 2005

On Sunday 31 July 2005 06:28 pm, John Aldrich wrote:
> I made the mistake of leaving a full-screen VNC session going from my
> wife's Windows ME box to my linux box. She couldn't figure out how to get
> back to Windows, so she rebooted her box. Now, my system thinks that
> there's a :1 session going somewhere, but I can't seem to find the lock or
> the PID file.
>
> I've looked in my ~/.vnc folder, renamed the .vnc folder to .vnc-old and
> made a new .vnc folder, and copied the relevant files over, rebooted my box
> (I needed to anyway, to use the new kernel I installed via up2date awhile
> back) and still, every time I try to start a new VNC session, I get it
> starting on :2.
>
> Any ideas on how to get the new session started on :1 again? There are no
> vnc server sessions currently running, I checked. I *did* have a stale .pid
> file, only visible by root, but it's gone now.
>
> HELP! I'd really like to get my :1 session back, since that's the session I
> tunnel to from my Win2k box at work. :-)
> 	Thanks
> 	John

Ok. Wez (James Weatherall) at RealVNC pointed me in the right direction to
find out what was blocking :1. He told me to see what process was listening
on port 5901 using netstat -p. Unfortunately, that didn't show anything, so
as root, I ran "netstat -anp | grep 5901" and that showed that a process was
holding that port open. I looked up that process using "ps" and that told me
it was sshd. I killed that particular process, closed my existing VNC session
and restarted it and voila! I have :1 back now! :-)

I just thought I'd post the solution here so that if anyone else has this
problem in the future, they might have a chance of resolving it if they check
the archives. :-)
	John