Our (US) $s at work.

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Mon Aug 1 21:07:59 UTC 2005

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, Mike McCarty wrote:

> Craig White wrote:

it doesn't so millions of pc have to be patched or updated.

<snip>

> How does one get through to you? I ALREADY KNOW HOW TO USE YUM. I KNOW
> HOW IT WORKS. READ WHAT I WROTE.
>
> You again responded to what you read rather than what I asked.
>
> Is English your first/primary language?
>
> The purpose of my questions is to point out that the fellow wanted to
> know how to update the files *HIMSELF* and the only responses he's
> getting are from people like you who cannot/will not respond to the
> question AS ASKED.
>
> The answer to my question, AS ASKED, is "It is impossible for your
> machine automatically to change the configuration files by itself
> when your local government passes a new ordinance."
>
> And the answer to the OP's question is so far not yet given.

The magic that switches unix style sysems for regular to  daylight saving
and back is the timezone description file typically /etc/localtime which
is in tzfile format.

for info on the format look at:

man 5 tzfile

for a treatment of the functions in libc that support this. and actually
output the time:

man localtime

For systems where the system clock is utc/gmt (the right way to set your
time imho) the tzset function derives local time from the timezone file
set in your environment (which practically speaking means everyone on
the machine can have a different localtime represented (or more than one).

man tzset

unix/posix time is measured as the number of seconds elapsed since 0000
utc jan 1 1970. the unix day increases by exactly 86400 second per day
plus the occasional discontinious leap second to keep the unix day in sync
with the earths rotation. unix time is represented in your kernel as a
signed 32 bit int and all time on a posix system is fundamentaly derived
from unix time.

see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_time

for a more complete treatment on posix time.

joelja

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu