Our (US) $s at work.

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 1 22:19:26 UTC 2005

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 8/1/05, Mike McCarty <mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>>Craig White wrote:

>>>----
>>>you sure ask a lot of questions...
>>>
>>>'updates-released' is checked against the local cache and new updates
>>>are thus recognized and downloaded if/when appropriate. Of course, if
>>>you knew how yum worked, you would know that.
>>>
>>>As for how and when updates are released, that of course is up to the
>>>packagers.
>>>
>>>Craig
>>>

>>How does one get through to you? I ALREADY KNOW HOW TO USE YUM. I KNOW
>>HOW IT WORKS. READ WHAT I WROTE.
>>
>>You again responded to what you read rather than what I asked.
>>
>>Is English your first/primary language?
>>
>>The purpose of my questions is to point out that the fellow wanted to
>>know how to update the files *HIMSELF* and the only responses he's
>>getting are from people like you who cannot/will not respond to the
>>question AS ASKED.
>>
>>The answer to my question, AS ASKED, is "It is impossible for your
>>machine automatically to change the configuration files by itself
>>when your local government passes a new ordinance."
>>
>>And the answer to the OP's question is so far not yet given.
>>
>>Mike
>

> You are referring to two different "you"'s. I was the first one who
> anwsered your question, then you got pissed at me. Craig was the
> second one who gave you the same answer, then you yelled at him as if
> he was me, repeating what I had said.

First: Sorry I blew my top. Also, I should have checked my attributions
more closely.

> And just so you know, the most helpful people on this list are not
> nessacarily the native English speakers (Dalloz comes to mind). And

Never thought so.

> the next time that you want me to answer a question, you can go ahead
> and ask in hebrew, so that you will be sure to get an answer that
> satisfies you.

Lest you think that I am foreign-language challenged, I speak two
languages fluently (English is not my first language, though it
is now my language of choice) and enough of a third that I have
been mistaken for being a native speaker by native speakers on
three occasions.

> And me and Craig and others won't have to try so hard to understand
> you. Or you can just appreciate them.

The issue in this particular case was the use of the rhetorical
question. It might be the sort of thing that a non-native speaker
might not recognize.

> An extended version of the answer to your question: When American
> lawmakers go and change their timezones, lots of non-native english
> speakers write little files and put them in yum repros, so that you
> can download them and update your system. And I hope you don't mind a
> native Finnish speaker developing your next kernel.

I don't care about that. I suspect that you have used some equipment
I worked on to make phone calls long distance.

Mike