Constructive critisism; room for improvement:

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Aug 2 01:22:07 UTC 2005

Mike McCarty wrote:

> Matthew Saltzman wrote:

>>> I almost agree with you. I'd just leave out "which is not part of
>>> the core operating system."
>>>
>>> I thought the original message was a nicely put criticism. FCx has
>>> a real problem which certain other OS do not have. It should be
>>> fixed.
>>

>> True enough.  It's not a reason not to use Linux, though.  It's a
>> reason to get the bug fixed.
>>

> Didn't say it was a reason not to use FCx.
>
>> What did you say the Bugzilla number for this problem was?
>

> I think the guy with the problem should be the one to make an
> entry. I don't have any music CDs, so I can't really create
> an entry with any useful data in it. It's so tacky, don't you
> think, to create problem reports with gossip in them?
>
> Mike

My problem was with one specific kernel version that is now long gone,
an smp kernel. Hopefully, this sort of stopping the system dead in its
tracks can be avoided.
I have had problems with a card reader slowing the system down to a very
slow rate before. Using these two problems, there is room for
improvement when filesystems that are not primary to the system are
faulty. There should be some sort of governor to break out of faulty
filesystems that especially are of the removable media types.
Other OSes, at least w9x also had problems caused by crashes due to
defective removable media. Later version OSes do better when dealing
with corrupt media, but may bring down the system in some cases.
Linux can do better when dealing with this problem.

Jim

--
Laugh, and the world ignores you.  Crying doesn't help either.