Weird character at end of tabs in terminal

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 2 13:19:42 UTC 2005

Dan Track wrote:
> Hi
>
> When flicking through the tabs on my gnome terminal using "Ctrl+Page
> Up" and "Ctrl+Page Down" I get a weird "5~5~" character repeat, until
> I let go of the keys. This never used to happen on before FC4.
>
> Is there anyway I can solve this?
>
> Thanks
> Dan

I have written a little program I call "keys" which I use to try
to resolve such problems. It shows what a given key emits.

$ keys
^[[5;5~
'.' = 1B
'[' = 5B
'5' = 35
';' = 3B
'5' = 35
'~' = 7E
'.' = 0A

Ok, CTRL-PageUp and CTRL-PgUp (on numeric keypad) both generate

<ESC> [ 5 ; 5 ~

on my machine. So it seems that the "<ESC> [ 5 ;" is being eaten
and interpreted as one keypress, and the "5~" is being interpreted
as a second keypress, not being recognized, and emitted.

Now, why that should be, I dunno. Do you have a $HOME/.Xdefaults
file?

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.