File System for USB Disk?

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 2 13:42:05 UTC 2005

James Pifer wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 08:31, James Pifer wrote:
>
>>I have 160 gig hard disk installed in a USB 2 enclosure.
>>
>>What is the best file system to put on it?
>>
>>It would be nice to be able to plug it into both Linux and Windows
>>machines. Obviously NTFS is not an option. Windows can't read linux
>>drives. So what does that leave me with?

[snip]

Depends on just a little bit more information.

Is this "mision-critical" data?

It seems you need R/W access under Linux. You might try captive-ntfs
project at http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/

You must own a copy of XP. It copies the drivers from your XP
release medium, or from the web. I dunno what kind of magic is
going on under the hood, but supposedly Microsoft's actual XP
drivers are loaded and used. It's "experimental", but supposedly
works, and he has testimonials from, for example, hospitals.
But also see http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/6261 about
SP2 for XP.

A commercial solution may be http://www.mount-everything.com/
which allows one to mount ext3 under Windows. They claim R/W
access.

If these are not for you, then I think you'll have to use
vfat. Umm. 2GB limit on individual file size IIRC?

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.