Adding printer in FC4 - radical suggestion

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Tue Aug 2 21:23:55 UTC 2005

On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 08:52:28PM +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Phil Schaffner wrote:
>
> >> The time has come to upgrade our thinking about printers. Since we are
> >> using cups system-config-printer needs to be put on the back shelf.
> >
> > Or at least made a lot more CUPS-friendly, as in not clobbering custom
> > configurations every time it is run.
> >
> >> Go to the CUPS web interface http://localhost:631 and use it to
> >> configure your printers.
>
> I must say, I have tried this,
> as well as system-config-printer
> (or rather Start=>System Settings=>Printing),
> and I can't decide which is worse.
>
> >> At the same time print pout the CUPS user and
> >> CUPS system administrators documentation and learn how to use the
> >> command line configuration tools of cups.
>
> I found this documentation completely useless.
> What do you mean by CLI tools?
> I thought the documentation advised you to use the web interface?
I guess people have different points of view. I found the
documentation essential and it explains both the web and CLI
interfaces.

> >> Let me tell you one thing to convince you that this is the way to go.
> >> You want to have a client to print to a print server. How do you do
> >> it? You do nothing. Just print from the client and it finds the
> >> server.
> >
> > The down side of that convenience in our environment is that, unless
> > some tricks are played to limit the browse addresses, the user may be
> > confronted with a list of several hundred printers, many of which are at
> > unknown and distant locations (but then our network administrators are
> > working under a low-bidder contract and are suspected of being brain-
> > damaged).
>
> I don't understand either of you at this point.
> Surely if there are lots of printers on the system,
> you will have to say which one you want?
> But I didn't think one normally did this by browsing.
>
> If you are going to use the same printer most of the time,
> can't you just make it the default?

Sure you say which one you want to use and can set a default but there
is no printer configuration done on the client only on the server. So
when you say: lpr -P foo file
you print to foo through the server.

Practical people would be more practical if they would take a little
more time for dreaming.
		-- J. P. McEvoy
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science