cannot install Redhat Linux

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 2 21:07:03 UTC 2005

Thomas Springer wrote:

>>sorry the partition (for linux) name is /dev/hda4.

[snip great reply]

> ...three partitions is highly recommanded, though you could
> also use a swapfile later for vm.

It might be worthwhile to put /home on its own partition, as
well.

>>Another question is how to set the double boot mode? It seems in the
>>installation I set up this. But it just does not work at all.
>

> ...didn't you install GRUB in MBR ?

That doesn't just work right out of the box for some of us.
I had a gruesome task getting my machine to do that. I'd
not install in the MBR right away. I'd put it into the
first sector of /boot and lift it with dd, and use XP to do the
multi-boot management between Windows and GRUB, and let
GRUB do the multi-boot for Linux.

Later, it can be put into the MBR if necessary.

Actually, I'd use a boot floppy for a few boots to
practice with GRUB and getting Linux up.

But some people here have called me a fearmonger for saying
this.

> ...boot in rescue mode with distro-cd1 and let anaconda find linux.
> Perhaps it's just necessary to install grub.

IMO, the easiest way to find out is to install GRUB on a floppy
and try to boot from there, then put it into /boot and try
to get XP to manage the multiboot.

But then, I'm a fear monger.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.