making Samba work

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Tue Aug 2 22:57:28 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 17:49 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
> On Tue August 2 2005 5:34 pm, Phil Schaffner wrote:
> > >
> > > This seems like a problem:
> > >
> > > cj]# smbclient -L StudyPC
> > > timeout connecting to 208.254.3.160:445
> > >
> > > It's trying to find something on the internet!
> >
> > Well, smbclient -L should be using the IP address of the machine.  Is
> > the above the expected IP address?

from man smbclient it says (on FC3).
 -L     This option allows you to look at what services  are  available
        on  a server. You use it as smbclient -L host and a list should
        appear. The -I  option may be  useful  if  your  NetBIOS  names
        don’t  match your TCP/IP DNS host names or if you are trying to
        reach a host on another network.

I would guess that the host studypc is not named in /etc/hosts and as a
result it is trying to find a suitable host on the internet to match
that hostname.

An easy fix may be a simple entry in /etc/hosts with the IP address of
that host and try again.