making Samba work

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Tue Aug 2 23:39:17 UTC 2005

Am Mi, den 03.08.2005 schrieb Claude Jones um 1:25:
> On Tue August 2 2005 7:08 pm, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> > Am Mi, den 03.08.2005 schrieb Claude Jones um 1:02:

> > > Ok - I learned something. My resolve.conf file:
> > >
> > > search com
> > > nameserver 69.31.31.2
> > > nameserver 64.202.97.2
> >
> > bingo :)
> >
> yes, but what did I win? ;-)

It explains why "smbclient -L StudyPC" did lead you to the foreign host.
Why did you set "search com"? Anyway, has nothing to do with Samba or
your setup problems at all.

> correcting something here, help my FC4 box see my Windoz boxes? It seems like
> the big problem derives from the following example error in the smb logfile:
>
> [2005/08/02 16:16:31, 0] smbd/negprot.c:reply_nt1(293)
>   reply_nt1: smb signing is incompatible with share level security !

That is at least no correct setting. I do not understand why you did set
it.

> I've been trying to figure out what smb signing is about, but the
> documentation isn't too helpful - I found one suggestion to delete the
> security line, and one to change it to user!

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/smb.conf.5.html

server signing (G)

        This controls whether the server offers or requires the client
        it talks to to use SMB signing. Possible values are auto,
        mandatory and disabled.

        When set to auto, SMB signing is offered, but not enforced. When
        set to mandatory, SMB signing is required and if set to
        disabled, SMB signing is not offered either.

        Default: server signing = Disabled

> I just want to share one folder on my FC4 machine to my Windows boxes, which I
> can now do, and I want my FC4 box to have access to my Windows machines -
> pretty much everything there.

Why don't you just use the smb.conf as how it ships with Fedora's rpm
and adjust it slightly? And being sure which each command stands for.

Make sure your network setup is properly (IPs / netmask). You can test
netbios host resolving by running

nmblookup <name of your samba host>

Again, to exclude problems like iptables blocking make sure "smbclient"
and "smbstatus" on localhost gives proper results.

> Claude Jones

http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/

Alexander

Serendipity 01:31:10 up 18 days, 6:03, load average: 0.06, 0.16, 0.17