Sensors output: Interpreting

Markku Kolkka markkuk at tuubi.net
Wed Aug 3 13:58:38 UTC 2005

Mike McCarty kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika tiistai, 2.
elokuuta 2005 23:49):
> What is w83627thf-isa-0290?
Your sensor chip, the bus it's connected to and its address.

> What is ISA adapter? (I know what ISA bus is.)
It means the sensor chip is accessed through the i2c_isa driver.

> What is VCore? Should I be concerned it is out of spec?
The voltage supplied to your CPU. Is it really out of spec? Have
you edited /etc/sensors.conf to match your processor's voltage
specification?

> What is V5SB? (5V Supply to USB?)
5 Volts StandBy. It's the voltage supplied even when your
computer is "off".

> What is VBat? (Lithium CMOS backup?) Looks like it's out of
> spec.
Not sure. See sensors.conf.

> What is fan1? (Power supply?)
It's whatever fan is connected to the first fan controller of
your sensor chip. It's up to the motherboard manufacturer how
the various fan connectors are wired.

> Why is it "div = 2"? What does this mean?
It's the "divisor" used to control the fan RPM counter. The
larger the divisor, the longer the chip counts the pulses to get
the RPM value.

> I think I know what CPU Fan is, but why is it "div = 2"?
Because it's set that way in sensors.conf or by default.

> What is fan3? Why is it "div = 8"?
As above.

> In regards to M/B Temp, does "high =  +120°C, hyst =  +115°C"
> mean that the fan comes on at 120C, and continues to run'
> until temp drops to 115C? (IOW, Onset is 120, abatement is
> 115?)
No. The limits are the alarm limits for the lm-sensors software
and they aren't related to fan control. Your CPU would be fried
long before the temperature reaches 120C.

> What is temp3?
Any temperature sensor the motherboard manufacturer has chosen to
connect to the third temperature channel of the sensor chip.

> What is VID data? Should I be concerned it is unavailable?
Voltage ID, it specifies the core voltage that your CPU should
use. Without it you must set the VCore limits manually by
editing sensors.conf.

> What is a EEPROM sensor? (I know what EEPROM usually means.)
A serial EEPROM readable through the lm-sensors software. Usually
used for the SPD info on RAM modules.

> What is SMBus? (Anything to do with SMP?)
System Management Bus, a modified version of the I2C bus. A quote
from the spec:
"The System Management Bus (SMBus) is a two-wire interface
through which various system component chips can communicate
with each other and with the rest of the system. It is based on
the principles of operation of I2C*.
SMBus provides a control bus for system and power management
related tasks. A system may use SMBus to pass messages to and
from devices instead of tripping individual control lines.
Removing the individual control lines reduces pin count.
Accepting messages ensures future expandability.
With System Management Bus, a device can provide manufacturer
information, tell the system what its model/part number is, save
its state for a suspend event, report different types of errors,
accept control parameters, and return its status."

--
 Markku Kolkka
 markku.kolkka at iki.fi