Newbie: Photoshop CS under Fedora Core 4

Henry Hartley henryhartley at westat.com
Wed Aug 3 14:16:19 UTC 2005

On: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 9:36 AM, Robert P. J. Day said:

>> On Wed, 3 Aug 2005, Marcus Zingmark wrote:
>> > Is there any other stable alternative that can make this
>> > possible, for free?
>>
>> COO is always a possibility as long as you first verify that
>> it supports your app.  check here first:
>> http://www.codeweavers.com/site/compatibility/browse/name/?letter=all
>>
>> and for all of $39.95 (US), you really have to ask yourself
>> if it's worth the time to find something else that may not
>> work as well.  just sayin'.

I agree with Robert.  Paying $40 isn't too bad when you consider
the cost of Photoshop.  Unfortunately, while versions 5, 6, and
7 of Photoshop earned a "Silver" rating, CS is rated "Known not
to work" and CS2 is untested.  While certainly good enough for
occasional use, I'm not sure even a silver rating is good enough
for a professional to rely upon.  Silver is defined as, "This
application installs, and runs well enough to be usable. However
we find it has enough bugs to prevent it from running
flawlessly."

To the OP, your other option is Wine (www.winehq.org).  Again,
it appears that version 7 runs under wine (your mileage may
vary).  It also looks like some folks have Photoshop CS and CS2
running so you might look into that a bit more.  It's also free
so you have less to lose.

--
Henry