cups port problem.

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Thu Aug 4 18:20:21 UTC 2005

Am Do, den 04.08.2005 schrieb akonstam at trinity.edu um 20:23:

> I am loosing my cool on this so I need help.

/me donates a cool breeze ;)

> This has to do with the ipp (cupsd) port 631.
> On the server.
> Running netstat -anp |grep 631
> returns:
> tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:631               0.0.0.0:* LISTEN      24471/cupsd

Means cupsd is listening on localhost (127.0.0.1) only on port 631 TCP.

> udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:631                 0.0.0.0:* 24471/cupsd

Means cupsd is listening on all devices on port 631 UDP.

> Indicating that cupsd is listening on that port.
> Running: nmap -sT -O localhost |grep 631
> 631/tcp   open  ipp
>  And on the server I can telnet localhost 631 and it connects.

Is to be expected from netstat output.

>  However from a client when I run: nmap -sT -O sol |grep 631
>  from a client (sol is  our server) the 631 entry does not appear and in
>  fact when I telnet to the server at port 631 the connection is
>  refused.

This is to be expected from netstat output too.

nmap --help --> -sT TCP connect() port scan (default for unprivileged
users)

So you test TCP with that, but port 631 TCP is bound to localhost only.
You would need to run "nmap -sU -p 631" against the cups server host to
get a proper result.

>  One would hope that somewhere in the cupsd.conf there is a line that
>  opens that port for access from other machines. Anyone know how to
>  open that port or what that line is in the configuration file.
>  There is no firewall involved here.

Find the "Listen" line(s) in your /etc/cups/cupsd.conf. Make sure it is
not only

Listen 127.0.0.1:631

but too

Listen <non local IP>:631

Be sure that IP's net or at least the client's IP appears too in the
"Allow From" statements.

> Aaron Konstam

Alexander

Serendipity 20:12:50 up 20 days, 45 users, load average: 0.11, 0.16,
0.17