Updating via the web

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Fri Aug 5 01:57:50 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-04 at 18:24 -0700, Paul Lemmons wrote:

PLEASE do not top post.

> Let's see... 4 CD's... that is about 2.5GB and that is roughly
> 2,684,354,560 bytes. Now, your modem is 56Kbits per second. That is
> roughly 5.5Kbytes per second or 5,632 Bytes per second.
>
> If we divide the amount of data by the transfer rate we get... hold
> on... <pencil scratching noises> ... 476,625 seconds to do the download.
> Rounding to a whole hour that is 132 hours or 5.5 days! (assuming you
> don't need your phone for anything else and that the files actually
> arrive uncorrupted)
>
> You probably will not need every file from all four CD's so you may be
> able to cut the time in half :-{
>
> My suggestion... http://www.linuxcdshop.ca/cat--Fedora-Core--Fedora.html

ROFLMAO
You are also assuming that nothing like call-waiting, storms, slow
servers that drop the connection, etc. are interrupting the download.

The last time I had a really slow connection like that (56k modem) it
was attached to my dedicated linux box that had nothing to do except the
download and had its own phone line.  It took me about a week to
download good copies of the 3 CDs.  Seems like that was in the RH7.x
days, and I had several restarts due to net connection quality.  Now I
use broadband and can download the CDs in a few hours, but not everyone
has that option.

Your suggestion is definitely the best for him.

I would not recommend it because of the bandwidth issue.  It takes me
about 45 minutes to do a normal install directly from CD.  Anything that
interrupted the install from the net on your modem would require a
complete restart, and it likely could take *days* to do an install on
the modem.