Is SATA hard drive supported by Fedora?

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Fri Aug 5 03:03:43 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-04 at 20:56 -0500, Hongyu Sun wrote:
> Dear All:
> It is surprising that an external hard drive is recommended. But what
> is more confusing is this website,
>
> http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html
>
> Seems serial ATA is not supported by Linux. So probably I have to buy a USB
> external hard drive. I wonder if Fedora support serial ATA or external
> USB or neither?

Don't see how you conclude that from the above link.  It is a bit dated,
but has quite a lot of info about getting SATA to work with various HW
and distros.

I can assure you that SATA is supported.  I have run SATA on FC3 and EL4
(actually CentOS4) on i386 and x86_64, both internal and external,
including RAID.  You can get slot adapters with cables that bring an
internal SATA connector outside so you can use an external SATA drive,
and/or SATA controllers with internal and/or external connectors.  Found
it more cost-effective to buy the drive and enclosure/supply separately
than the packaged solutions.  Get a good case with a fan if going this
route.

Phil