making Samba work [not yet, it turns out]

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Fri Aug 5 14:41:32 UTC 2005

Am Fr, den 05.08.2005 schrieb Claude Jones um 3:58:
> On Thu August 4 2005 9:09 pm, Claude Jones wrote:

> Ok, I've got a clue. I had been playing with Mepis for the past few weeks, and
> it comes with a SMB/CIFS browser called Smb4K. I installed this program on my
> FC4 machine a few days ago. It has been up and down since, but tonight, I got
> it started, and one thing it does is scan the available machines on the
> network and return a list of machines and IP addresses. It's returning the
> StudyPC machine, but with the same internet address I was getting the other
> day. So, instead of resolving StudyPC to the local Windows machine on my
> network, it's doing a DNS lookup on the internet and trying to connect to
> that address. I'd removed the "search com" line from my resolv.conf file,
> but, it persists in this behavior. The documentation for this program is
> sparse, and there seems to be no way to curb this behavior through any of the
> available configuration windows. I'd be willing to remove this package at
> this point, but I'm not sure how, as I installed it from source
> using ./configure, make, make install - I'm not even sure that would solve my
> problem. I did try reinstalling the package just now, hoping my altered Samba
> settings would improve matters, but no cigar...

> Claude Jones

I must confess that I somehow beginning to loose the track. As suggested
in my other reply it may be wise to start from scratch with a small,
limited setup. To change things here and there can only lead to success
by chance.
Anyway, did you ever tell us about how you realized the DNS setup within
your home network? As I tried to explain in past, if you call a host
with it's short hostname, the search entry in resolv.conf is used to
make it a FQDN. If that leads to a resolving name in public internet,
then that address will be used. I have the impression a cause of all
your problems might be a broken name resolving setup. You should too
check whether you run nscd. That service will cache.

Alexander

Serendipity 16:36:51 up 14:40, 18 users, 0.25, 0.10, 0.15