FC4 kernel question: Howto monitor temperature with S-ATA drives?

Peter Boy pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Fri Aug 5 15:11:18 UTC 2005

I just try to install FC 4 onto a new system, which is equipped with 2
S-ATA drives (nforce 3 250gb) in a raid setup. Its shuttle case is quite
small and the drives are mounted very close to each other. Therefore
temperature monitoring is required.

Anaconda uses libata to operate the drives. I had to learn, that
smartmontools can not monitor the hard drives temperature, because the
atalib API is missing the required functionality yet.

There is a patch available at
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/jgarzik/libata/
but I would have to recompile the kernel.

2 questions:

a) is there another way to control HD temp with libata or does someone
have a patched kernel/kernel module available?

b) is there a way in FC4 to use the traditional ide lib for the drives
which is said to support the nforce, too, and which hopefully will allow
temp monitoring?

Any help appreciated

Peter