Linux Kicking Microsoft Out of Indiana Schools

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 5 16:28:21 UTC 2005

--- Tony Nelson <tonynelson at georgeanelson.com> wrote:

> At 8:41 PM -0700 8/4/05, Antonio Olivares wrote:
>
>http://www.webpronews.com/news/ebusinessnews/wpn-45-20050804LinuxKickingMicroso
> >ftOutOfIndianaSchools.html
> >
> >My only question is off all the Linux Distros why
> >Linspire?
>
> The schools probably have a lot of Microsoft and
> other MSWindows software
> that they just want to keep using.  FC doesn't run
> windows software, and it
> takes knowledge and work to add the necessary stuff
> and get it working, and
> looking familiar.  Linspire (formerly Lindows) is
> for doing that out of the
> box.

  The schools in general do have a bunch of Microsoft
and other MSWindows software hanging around.  In some
cases, they are running pirate versions of it.
According to some people, the move to linux is eminent
to avoid fines.  Linspire happened to be at the right
place and at the right time.

   Anyhow the machines that will have Linspire(old
Lindows) are new machines from Wintergreen Systems
sold to the school systems.  The older machines
probably would be networked so that they will not be
thrown away and still be of use, unless they auction
them and sell them.