making Samba work [not yet, it turns out]

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Fri Aug 5 16:43:11 UTC 2005

On Friday 05 August 2005 12:15 pm, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> > That's actually my housemate's machine. I haven't discussed that machine,
> > because it's only using my firewall for routing to the interenet. There's
> > no intention to network it locally.
>
> Ok, but hiding information could confuse ;)

Was a judgment call. Most of the time, I don't even see him because he only
turns on that pc for a few minutes a day. Suggestion noted.

> Ok, it seems obvious that "studypc" is always resolved as "studypc.com"
> which has a public reachable IP.
>
> $ host studypc.com
> studypc.com has address 208.254.3.160

> the network (like DNS) than on the Samba / SMB part. Is more left over
> than to get "StudyPC" act "normally"?

I think you're right. I shall continue my research on DNS when I get home. Is
there a way to flush the DNS cache, and is there more than one cache, do you
know?
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA