Finding the UID for samba users

Tim Holmes tholmes at mcaschool.net
Fri Aug 5 17:01:18 UTC 2005

Hi Folks:

I am in the process of moving all of our users over to our new Samba
File server which runs FC3.

In order to properly secure the home folders, I need to chown them to
the UID of the individual user, and chgrp them to the domain users
group.  I know the GID for the domain users, so no problem there.  Is
there a way to find a list of the UID for all the users.

I know that I can do it by logging in as each individual user, and then
touching a file in a public directory, but that seems like the long way
around the barn to get it done.

Any insights?

Timothy A. Holmes

IT Manager / Webmaster / Science Teacher

Medina Christian Academy
A Higher Standard...

Jeremiah 33:3
Jeremiah 29:11